Monday, July 30, 2012

Cameron's 2nd Birthday Party

Last year, I remember being incredibly stressed by Cameron's 1st Birthday Party (feeling insecure about what to do for his birthday & missing my dad tremendously). This year I felt much better, just much more laid back about it.
We decided to make Daniel's grandma's chocolate cake recipe with a whipped cream frosting that has almond extract in it which is so so yummy.
Daniel enjoyed helping - we've been watching Cake Boss too much :)
A few simply decorations
We had our family over for dinner, gifts & then cake. So we made Cameron's favorite food -  pizza or as he says "Pezaaaaah" and some yummy sides brought from family - green salad, grape salad, fresh peaches and apples.
The food was great - Cameron always fills his mouth very full
Then we opened gifts 
Cameron was a little distracted with everyone there, but he did pretty well.
Overwhelmingly blessed by gifts - Cameron got a bubble mower, water table, sandbox, doodle pads, tricycle, Lightning McQueen Car, clothes and lots of books.
We asked everyone to bring a book to encourage Cameron to love books. Shannon found the Star Wars ABC book so I had to read that one out loud. 
Cameron trying the tricycle out - now a few weeks later he still does not have it quite yet, but he'll get there.
Then it was time for cake. I'm no cake decorator so I used m&m's to decorate it which was kind of fun. 
Time to sing "Happy Birthday" - at first he just looked around smiling and then next thing we knew he was bawling. Apparently, everyone singing and looking at him made him freak out. But it actually worked out because it kept me from crying which I almost did and certainly did last year.
Blowing out his two candles and chowing down - so yummy
Cameron is such a blessing. It's hard to believe that he is already 2. 

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Almond extract sounds like it would make that icing delicious...I may have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Cameron had a great b-day. It does get easier and less crazy every year. I found Natalie's 3rd to be so much less stressful than the previous two years. I think it just means we are settling into parenthood :) Hope to see you soon. Love you more than words can say!

    ReplyDelete